For five weeks that I lived in Koh Phangan I think motorbike is needed. First 2 weeks, I didn’t rent motorbike and I regret it. From my experience,
I think you need motorbike if you:
– You are going to be there for more than 3 days
- If you’re going to be there only the day you arrived and leave in next morning. Taking taxi will be more comfortable and more convenient
– You are going to explore many area and having tight time.
- Taking taxi in Koh Phangan would be cost you from 100 baht. If you want to go from place to places, rent motorbike 200 baht a day would be better.
– You travel with someone.
- Two person on motorbike you will have to pay at least 200 Baht a day. But if you take taxi, you will have to pay at least 100 baht/person/per destination. That’s 200 baht already.
– You know how to drive motorbike and want some adventure!
- Really, driving on the steep hills and sharp turns is fun but dangerous. If you’ve strong motorbike skills. Don’t miss it, just be more careful.
And I think you don’t need motorbike if you are going to join Parties! Everyday!
Driving in Koh Phangan is dangerous on Party Period, especially on Full Moon Party. The road will be busy. Combinations of tricky steep hills road, less skill drivers and dogs on the road, it may cause accidents.
Koh Phangan is usually busy on Party Period. The road will be busy and lot of traffic. You may see drunk drivers or first time drivers on the road. Some may stop and looking for their destination on the map just right after turn. Which is dangerous. Also, the dogs in Koh Phangan is really strange. They will just sleep at the middle of the road. Even you tried to beep the horn. They won’t care to move or even come closer to you which is worse. But most of the dogs here are just friendly. They won’t chase or bite.
A few things you should know
– Renting motorbike in Koh Phangan is real pain for someone.
When you are in needed of a motorbike rental. You have to look for an “honest renter”. Some are so tricky and ask for repair unreasonable if you made any scratch. Before you take motorbike out of the shop. Make sure you take photos of motorbike details and inform them if you see any existing scratch. This way, it could avoid cheating by renter. A few rental services I knew that well known as honest guy is in Ban Tai (south) and Chaloklum(north). In Ban Tai ‘Chai Service’ opposite of 7-11, and another on is at motorbike repair shop which I don’t remember the name. But it’s opposite of pharmacy. The one in Chaloklum is at internet cafe. If you drive heading north from Bantai, just go straight to the ocean, you will see 7-11 on you left hand side and the shop will be on you right hand side before a left turn.
Also note that, every rental might take your passport until you return the motorbike. For long term rental, you may able to negotiate for better price.
– Driving to Haad Rin for Full Moon Party is not recommended.
Road to Haad Rin is really on steep hill and many sharp turn. I myself never drive on that road myself nor even on motorbike actually. Whether you are going to join party or visiting, taking taxi is always better and safer. Taxi to/from Haad Rin is available all the time especially during Full Moon party.